RE: Western Mass radio

> Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:56:15 -0400
> From: "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com>
> Subject: Western Mass radio
>
> I'm on my annual vacation in Western Massachusetts, and I happened to
> hear a few things.  I listened to WARE for awile on the way out.
> They sounded about like any other oldies station.  I've heard better.
>
> I assume if they are using any nighttime authority, they have a signal
> that can't reach where I am.

I recently heard WARE when I was in Worcester at night (weak, but there)
and I disagree about them sounding like "any other" oldies station.

I don't know if you've listened to WODS "Oldies 103.3" in Boston lately,
but at least half of the music I heard on WARE were either songs that
WODS used to play and has dropped, or had never played in the first
place.

There was still a fair amount of pre-1964 music on WARE, an era which
WODS has completely dropped from rotation, even the biggest hits. There
is no longer any Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis,
Little Richard, or pre-1964 Elvis on WODS at all.

Roughly half the songs I heard WARE play from the mid-to-late 60's were
deeper songs than I've heard on WODS in quite a while, as WODS is now
only playing the most major overplayed warhorse oldies from that era. I
also heard none of the mid-to-late 70's disco and soft-rock that WODS
is now heavily featuring in rotation.

I've heard that Dennis Jackson and Gary James had a hand in programming
WARE's return to oldies, so it does sound somewhat like their WMEX-FM
in Rochester NH and the new oldies format on 900 AM (WOTW, soon to be
WSNH) in Nashua, which is more like how some other oldies stations used
to sound, but there's nothing in Boston that sounds like that anymore.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .