RE: Western Mass radio

About the WORST set of call-letter ever would have to
belong to WPNS (now something else).  While it stood
for "Partridge *something* station", the locals called
it "p**is radio".  No joke! Needless to say, the
call-letters were eventually brought back to WCAT.
Why they dumped one of the best set of call-letters is
beyond me.

In second place, WSTD (1060, now WBIX.... this week).
While it stood for "Stardust", you couldn't help but
think of "STD", sexually transmitted disease. Oh, yes,
WTTP, also on 1060, "TP"..... well, you get the idea.

Last but not least, WITS.  Yes, it stood for
"Information, Talk and Sports".  Dumping the 44 year
old call-letters of WMEX on 1510, in 1978, was
idiotic.  I called it, "WIT-less" radio.  1510 has not
made a dent in Boston radio since the "X-15" days.

Any other ideas of dumb call-letters?

73,

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts

--- Sven Franklyn Weil <sven@gordsven.com> wrote:
> > I guess that WIZZ is where you end up when your
> career is going down the
> > drain. <ducking> That's not a breath mint!
>
> For good music...nothing beats a goooood WIZZ
>
> WIZZ....your musical relief....
>
> --
> Sven

=====