Re: WSRS ( W1XOJ )

Aaron writes:
> >How could WAAF move to the Pru? It's third adjacent to Kiss and Magic.
And
> >COL changes are happening left-and-right on move-ins nowadays; all one
needs
> >to do is see what Entercom is doing in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
>
> 2nd and 3rd adjacent problems are minimized, if not eliminated, by
> co-location.  By co-locating, you ensure that if no interference occurs at
> the transmitter site, by definition it cannot occur anywhere else as the
> signal level dropoff is the same for all signals over distance.
>
> In theory the same is true for 1st adjacent and co-channel, but in reality
> it doesn't work because the ratio between desired and undesired signals is
> just too small (in co-channel obviously it's damn near 1:1) for your radio
> to distinguish between them.
>
> It's part of the weirdness of FM broadcasting...to prevent interference,
> you must either be very far away, or sitting right on top of each other
> (less than 0.5km)....nothing inbetween.

This is why you're the engineer and I'm not. :-) Thanks, Aaron.

> I didn't know about Scranton/Wilkes-Barre....is the total number of
> stations remaining in the same COL staying the same, or are some COL's
> losing stations?

WKRZ is dropping Wilkes-Barre as its COL and adding a rimshot suburb
(Avoca?). Another Entercom station is dropping that same rimshot suburb and
picking up another when it moves its Tx site in order to get a better signal
into S/W-B. Scott mentioned it in NERW last week.

---