wwr?

New York City and adjacent northern New Jersey must be unique in having three
unrelated AMs whose calls begin with the same THREE letters--WWR. There's WWRL
1600 (the oldest of the three), WWRU 1660 (the newest), and WWRV 1330 (which
depending on how you figure it--back to the original WEVD and the original WBBR
or back to when WNYM became WWRV) is either quite old or rather new. And
sharing its towers with WWRV is another WW station--WWDJ. Now THAT's what I
call radio trivia.

But wait--there's more! The predecessor (OK, not the IMMEDIATE predecessor) of
WWDJ was another station with a double letter in its calls--WAAT. And here's a
question: Is WBBR 1130 the only other New York-area AM with a double letter in
its current calls? I imagine that if I went through the book "The Airwaves of
New York," I'd find more than a dozen now-defunct stations whose calls
contained double letters. For example, the WAAT calls went from 970 in Newark
to 1300 in Trenton to 750 in the Scranton-Wilkes Barre area. As far as I know,
those calls are currently unused.

And speaking of wwr (well, kind of), W_R_R used to be in Dallas TX. In fact, I
think it was the City of Dallas' municipally owned station. That station, on
1310 if memory serves, is now sports-talk KTKT (the Ticket), but unless the
calls have been changed, I think the WRR calls are still on FM in Dallas.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205