Re: WSRS ( W1XOJ )

In a message dated 7/9/2003 1:51:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, sid@wrko.com writes:

> >>what is now WSRS was WTAG-FM.<<
>
> ...and was originally meant to be WTAG-TV, Channel 5.  The First Report and Order in the FCC's television proceedings in
> 1947 allocated Channel 5 to Worcester

The story I heard is that the Boston Herald was trying to make inroads to the west of Boston so they could get some readership and advertisers in the Worcester area.  This, of course, was Telegram & Gazette territory, owners of WTAG.

The T&G cut a deal with the Herald.  We'll give you the license for Channel 5, and you keep your newspaper out of our territory.

Thus WTAG-TV became WHDH-TV (Channel 5) before it got on the air.

Also...I believe WSRS originally stood for West Wide Radio Station.  Pre-stereo.