Fwd: Ninety Watts? I Think Not

>To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
>Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:01:31 -0400
>From: "Laurence Glavin" <lglavin@lycos.com>
>(snip)
>kept selling stuff.  I really wanted a legal ID by WROL,
>but the time moved to 10:01, and still the program in progress kept going.
>Then at almost 10:02, the other 950's seemed to subside
>and when the WROL ID ("A Service of Salem Communications")
>came on, WROL clearly overrode the 950's  in Utica, NY
>and Philadelphia.  Ninety-watts...I think not.
>
>Laurence Glavin
>Methuen, MA

IIRC Ken Carberry still owns WROL, right?   I think he's also got a history
of not caring too much about following the rules and/or performing proper
maintenance on his properties.  I vaguely remember something about an LPTV
in Maine skirting the rules or something...

If you've sent a complaint via registered mail to his listed address (to
get confirmation of receipt) and gotten nowhere, document your findings and
send 'em to the other stations WROL is supposed to power down to
protect.  Preferably to their engineers as well as the owners, if you can.

Still no luck?  Complain to the local FCC office in Quincy.   Present as
much documentation and hard evidence as you can.   It make take a few
months, but eventually you might get somewhere.   Simply calling and
griping will likely get you nowhere...you're much better off if you can
provide actual quantifiable evidence.

Whether or not you are an "affected party" in this issue is
questionable....unless the affected stations (or their listeners)
themselves are complaining, your involvement in the matter is not very
relevant and there's little you can do.   OTOH, you could be attempting to
tune in these other stations via skywave and have a legitimate
complaint.  The FCC takes a dim view of DX'er complaints, but when the
DX'er is showing that a licensed facility is violating the rules, that's a
little different.