RE: Double letters in Boston-market calls

--- Magnadan <magnadan@comcast.net> wrote:
> I remember WWEL-FM.  "This is WELL, W-WELL.
> Beautiful music at the top
> of your FM dial."  Then one day it was Kiss 108.

At one point I had something I picked up at a Radio
Shack-- it was a chart listing what was then the call
letters of different FM stations, and up top, in big
letters, "WWEL 107.9" (or maybe "WWEL 108"). Wish I
still had that--a bit of promo radio memorabilia.

At one point, wasn't there a glut of beautiful music
stations (or easy listening) in the market? You
had WJIB 96.9, WWEL 107.9, WWEL 1430, WSSH 99.5
and maybe a few others like WHUE (AM) 1150 and
WHUE-FM 100.7, and maybe even one or two others?
I remember reading something in the paper at the
time mentioning that there were about 7 stations
in all with "beautiful music" or something like it.

Also, I used to have a bit of a newspaper from '67 or
so (when I was all of 5!) with an ad which said
something like, "Beautiful...the all-time X/R
Hit Parade. WXHR 740/96.9" (and a cartoon of a bee
next to a flower.) Again, I no longer have it
but I'm guessing WXHR was beautiful music or
easy listening at the time?