From: owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
[mailto:owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org] On Behalf Of
Dan.Strassberg@att.net
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 10:06 AM
To: DonKelley@aol.com
Cc: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: Double letters in Boston-market calls

Thanks, Don. Indeed! And the AM, then a daytimer, was WWEL (AM). How,
umm, well
I remember "It's 11:00 and all's well at WWEL Medford." I was
hospitalized for
almost two weeks with a ruptured appendix in 1973 and I remember
listening to
WWEL in my hospital room. Now, did WJIB and its beautiful music format
already
exist when WWEL adopted a similar format? You kind of have to believe
that
whichever station adopted the beautiful music format later got the idea
for its
IDs from the one that did the format first. Of course, neither WJIB nor
WWEL
was first with beautiful music in the Boston market. Those honors
probably go
to WMEX and the Theater of Beautiful Music in 1956--right before Mac and
Dickie
Richmond bought the station out of bankruptcy. When the Richmond
brothers
flipped WMEX to Top 40, WBOS (AM) took over with the WBOS Music Theater.
And in
the same timeframe, WNAC 680 did Music From Studio X with Bill Marlowe
during
the evening hours. I guess, however, that in this market, the
predecessor to
all of those programs/formats was American Airlines "Music Till Dawn,"
which I
believe was heard overnights at different times earlier in the '50s on
both WBZ
and WEEI 590.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net