Re: new logo for Ch 4?

On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 05:10  PM, Bob Nelson wrote:

> --- Kevin Vahey <kvahey@tmail.com> wrote:
>> looks like we will be seeing a new logo on Channel 4
>>
>> http://wbz4.com/wbz4news/
>
> That logo has already shown up on Ch. 4 for a couple weeks now.

I haven't seen it on the air except for the July 4 promos.

> For years, of course, they had the logo in what some people call the
> "Westinghouse font" (you'd see ads with phrases like "WBZ News Radio
> 1030" in the same kind of font). When Westinghouse bought CBS, they
> briefly had a logo of a _different_ style of "4" in a circle but they
> soon went back to the old style.

The logo used for the last few years wasn't exactly the old
Westinghouse style.  In fact, people referred to it as the "Circle 4
Ranch" when it was first introduced after the broo-ha-ha about the
"News 4 New England" logo.

> In some ways I like the new logo but in some ways you look at it and
> say to yourself, "What is this, Ch. 4 in St. Louis? Miami? L.A.?"--
> i.e., it almost seems like the logo for a station from elsewhere, not
> the "4" we've known for years...

Agreed, but it sort of matches the loss of true local flavor from any
of our stations.

Paul