WGBX-TV and "Catch 44" (was Re: WJDW-TV 44 and some interesting trivia)

WGBX-TV, Channel 44 in Boston started life on
September 25, 1967.  The original plan for 44 was to
be more than just a compliment to WGBH.  With color
becoming a BIG thing in 1965, WGBH wanted Channel 44
to be a showcase of all color programmming for the
Educational audience who were pretty much stuck with
the standard black and white telecourses (for college
credit) and In School programming, like the "21 Inch
Classroom" seen on Channel 2.  WGBX was to be more of
an alternative to the standard fare on Channel 2, and
in glorious color.  Well, it didn't quite happen that
way.  For nearly two years, Channel 44 would be mainly
a simulcast of Channel 2.  However, Channels 2/44 did
go color in the fall of 1967 with a documentary on
poet Robert Frost.  The Public Broadcast Laboratory
came into being in 1967 with programming produced in
color, with help of the government.  This would be the
prototype of today's PBS, using NET (National
Educational Television) member stations.
    WGBX would eventually begin separate programmming
in the early 1970's, namely consisting of time-shifted
programming seen on Channel 2.  However, every night
beginning in the fall of 1971, WGBX/44 started "Catch
44", a nightly 9:00 PM "public access" programming
venture that gave 30 minutes of airtime to community
groups in the Boston area.  With "Catch 44", however,
there were some "catches".  Basically, as long as you
didn't slander someone, it was a free-for-all.
However, if you DID slander and degrade someone, your
time would be cut (fade to black). IN this non-cabled
universe, it was unique!

-Peter Q.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/W/htmlW/wratherjack/wratherjack.htm

> So...anybody know anything at all about what the
> heck Jack Wrather had in
> mind for channel 44 in Boston?

=====
Peter Q. George (K1XRB)