Re: WGBX-TV and "Catch 44" (was Re: WJDW-TV 44 and some interesting trivia)

On 23 May 2003 at 9:41, Peter Q. George wrote:

> WGBX-TV, Channel 44 in Boston started life on
> September 25, 1967.  The original plan for 44 was to
> be more than just a compliment to WGBH.  With color
> becoming a BIG thing in 1965, WGBH wanted Channel 44
> to be a showcase of all color programmming for the
> Educational audience

Interestingly enough, sometime in the late 1950s, I called and asked
someone at WGBH why they didn't do color TV.  In those days, sometimes
they would carry a network show (without commercials) and TV Guide would
indicate that the program was in color, and then add the note "Channel 2
does not colorcast."   So I asked why, and I was told that they weren't
=allowed= to colorcast.  Anyone know why and when those regulations
changed?