Re: WGBX-TV and "Catch 44" (was Re: WJDW-TV 44 and some interesting trivia)

     I don't know why Channel 2 (WGBH-TV) was not
"allowed" to colorcast.  There were no such FCC
regulations to prohibit colorcasting.  As soon as the
FCC approved the RCA Color system for general use,
what the individual stations (commercial or
non-commercial) did with color programming was up to
them, not the FCC.  I think the problem with early
color on Channel 2 was that it was expensive to go
color (their transmitter and total plant were strictly
wired for black and white only) and since they had a
very limited schedule, limited funds et.al., the
"higher ups" with the WGBH Educational Foundation
didn't think color was important.  Well, they soon
changed their tune with the original plans for
WGBX/44. The CP for WGBX was originally WJDW and was
given to WGBH as a gift.  Originally Channel 68 was to
be the second non-commercial allocation for Boston,
but with WGBX taking over 44 as a non-comm, Channel 68
was reassigned as a commerical allocation.

I do recall that "Meet The Press" (sans commercials)
from NBC was broadcast on WGBH/2 in the early 1960's.
I am sure they received the show in color via the
network, but that was far as it went when it was sent
to the switcher. Results.... no color, as the entire
plant was not wired for color.  However, after the
fire at the original studios, I am sure they changed
their tune about going color.  WGBH-FM, BTW, was one
of the first FM'ers in the market to go Stereo in
1962.  That itself was (I'm sure) an expensive
proposition.  We all know now that today, all of the
WGBH stations are always state-of-the-art.  I have
been told by "someone who was there" that 'GBH changes
equipment practically every 6 months.  Nice work if
you can get it (and pay for it, too!)!

73,
Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts

--- "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com> wrote:
> On 23 May 2003 at 9:41, Peter Q. George wrote:
>
> > WGBX-TV, Channel 44 in Boston started life on
> > September 25, 1967.  The original plan for 44 was
> > be more than just a compliment to WGBH.  With
> color
> > becoming a BIG thing in 1965, WGBH wanted Channel
> 44
> > to be a showcase of all color programmming for the
> > Educational audience
>
> Interestingly enough, sometime in the late 1950s, I
> called and asked
> someone at WGBH why they didn't do color TV.  In
> those days, sometimes
> they would carry a network show (without
> commercials) and TV Guide would
> indicate that the program was in color, and then add
> the note "Channel 2
> does not colorcast."   So I asked why, and I was
> told that they weren't
> =allowed= to colorcast.  Anyone know why and when
> those regulations
> changed?
>
> --
> A. Joseph Ross, J.D.