Re: wake for Jerry Williams

On 30 Apr 2003 at 10:51, Dan.Strassberg@att.net wrote:

> Other parts of the tradition also make perfect sense to me; all of
> the mirrors in the house are supposed to be covered--apparently so the
> mourners won't see themselves when they look terrible from crying.

The reason has more to do with the notion that mirrors were thought to
reflect the soul of the deceased.

On the other hand, there are usually many valid reasons that can be
advanced for a given practice.

In
> Orthodox homes, I believe that Shiva goes on for a week, but there are
> exceptions. For example, Shiva ends when Yom Kippur starts.

I believe Shiva is only interrupted by Yom Kippur and resumes afterwards.
Likewise for Sabbath.  "Shiva" is Hebrew for "seven."