Re: wake for Jerry Williams

Shiva is the appropriate term but my understanding is that Shiva doesn't start
until after the burial. It's a very humane custom. Friends visit the bereaved
and try to cheer them up. It is customary to bring some sweets as a gift--the
idea is to make sure that those in mourning don't forget to eat. Other parts of
the tradition also make perfect sense to me; all of the mirrors in the house
are supposed to be covered--apparently so the mourners won't see themselves
when they look terrible from crying. In Orthodox homes, I believe that Shiva
goes on for a week, but there are exceptions. For example, Shiva ends when Yom
Kippur starts.

It would probably be good if someone more observant than I (which means almost
anybody who is Jewish) wrote on this topic. I'm just about the last Jew in the
world that one should think of consulting on matters of Jewish tradition.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205