RE: wake for Jerry Williams

At 09:51 AM 4/30/2003, Paul Hopfgarten wrote:
>that the body is not seen, and equally odd that you'd sit for 7 days. Oh,
>and the body is supposed to be buried within 24 hours if at all possible
>(though I don't really know the reason why)

While neither Catholic nor Jewish (although I do go to Catholic high
school, and I have several close friends who're Jewish) I believe the
reasoning behind the burial-within-24-hours has to do with the "old days"
when embalming techniques weren't as good.   Similar to not eating pork b/c
of trichinosis.

Of course, I have no idea if that's REALLY the reason, or whether it's just
a factoid that's floated around for so long people think it's true.  It
does have some logic to it, though.