Re: automation?

Todays PC based automation is long way from the Gates SC-48 I first worked
with at the old WSSH in 1979. Rows of thumbwheel switches controlled the
reels and Gates 55 cart players where the cart machine would ride up and
down like an elevator to access the carts.

Anyway, here at WNBP in Newburyport we've been using Audisk since 1995.
It's DOS based and hardly ever needs to be rebooted. When it does mess up
it's most often operator error of some scheduling information. However it
uses SCSI-2 drives that are not made anymore as well as proprietary
hardware.  We are currently looking at upgrading to a new system called
"AirTrafficControl" made by www.onairware.com  . This Win2000 based system
was developed by a former Audisk support person, is locally based (Maynard
Mass) and uses no proprietary hardware. It is very similar in operation to
Audisk but has all the flexibility of a newer 32 bit system.

Another very reliable system is native to Massachusetts is
Cartready/Controlready.  www.wireready.com  There is a DOS version and a new
Windows version.

The good thing about the systems that can run on any PC is if something
breaks on a weekend, you could pick up a video card or Soundblaster card
from Walmart quickly to at least get back on the air. Although I don't
reccomend running a station with Soundblasters, in an emergency you could.

I tell everyone to run from Scott Studios. I've heard horror stories about
that system and experienced a nightmare with it at another station. That
station has since switched to an ENCO with very little problems.

Matt Stevens
WNBP Newburyport