Re: automation?

At 10:01 PM 4/20/2003 -0400, Donna Halper wrote:
>I was having a conversation on another list about automation equipment for
>small and medium market stations-- everything these days is either so
>expensive or so complicated, and I was wondering if any of you have
>insights or opinions on the subject. What automation equipment is
>reasonably priced and efficient, in your opinion?  What features do you
>think are the most important for the smaller market station?  And if you
>had some bad experiences or used any automation equipment that was a
>disappointment, you can tell me that too-- I have heard several of my
>consulting clients express rather strong opinions about Arrakis, for
>example... Anyway, I am working on an article, and will only quote you if
>you want to be quoted!

There are three levels of automation systems:
1: Basic automation of MP3's, possibly with ability to play specific files
at specific times.
2: Basic automation with live-assist (cart emulation).  Not necessarily in
the same software.
3: Automation of recording & playback, and the ability to add
voicetracking.  Usually in the same softare.

The first tier can be done for nothing...Walmart.com sells computers for
$200, and there's a program called "Winamp Radio Scheduler" (do a Google
search) that's a little buggy but is free.   Getting a little more reliable
and functional means a somewhat better computer for, say, under $1000 and
probably a program like Raduga Automation  (www.raduga.net)

The second tier is, naturally, most costly.  But not necessarily a lot more
so.  You can do a Walmart/WRS solution and get a second computer and buy
Mixopia Cart Machine for $60.   Network the two and you're all set.  But
that is not anything without shouting distance of a robust system.   Even
for the budget conscious I wouldn't recommend that kind of solution;
something like BSI's Simian/Wavecart combo is a lot more appropriate, and
still reasonably priced (under $2000 or so).   (Audio) Vault Express is
a  good system that's reasonably priced as well.

The third tier is where you get into $8000 and up...depending on the size
of your operation it can easily get to $25-$35k.  AudioVault, Enco's DAD
and Prophet (www.prophetsys.com) come to mind here.   These are hard core
systems that can do hard core things.  Expensive, but frequently worth
every penny.

Something that most everyone who buys an automation system forgets about is
that NONE of these systems are "Set it and forget it" systems.  They ALL
require system maintenance on a regular basis - including someone to update
the playlist now and then.  The high end buggers are high end tech and
require frequent software updates, hardware repair, program changes, etc
etc etc.   Automation might be able to eliminate five fulltime DJ's from
your staff but it'll demand at least one fulltime tech to keep it
running.  Most cheapo outfits ignore that rule, often to their peril.

Obviously the cheapo automation solutions are just as bad.  They require
someone who knows all the tricks and workarounds it takes to keep the thing
running as usually you've cobbled something together that's not meant to
run the way you've set it up.  The piper is always paid somehow.