Re: Group pressures Public Radio to air program

At 06:40 PM 4/6/2003 -0400, Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
>But...why would an NPR affiliate carry a competing program?  Also, I
>believe Democracy Now is now an independent production, after Goodman's
>squabbles with Pacifica leading her to do D.N. In Exile (from some remote
>studio that was not WBAI).

I find DN! too left-wing for my tastes as well, but I was a strong advocate
of adding it to WZBC's lineup.  While they've lost a handful of listeners
from it - they've GAINED many more than that, esp. with the war going
on.   It's a good match to a lot of ZBC's regular listeners.

Which leads me to my point - why aren't college radio stations in Maine
(there must be SOME) taking advantage of the situation and adding DN! to
their lineups to get the listeners?   I mean, yes, I know college radio
stations are notoriously independent - my question is really a rhetorical
suggestion.

FYI - DN is produced in a different location than WBAI, but I think they
still get a lot of funding from WBAI/Pacifica - like all Pacifica programs
& stations, there is no underwriting; they are entirely listener-supported
(unless they're getting corporate grants without giving underwriting back).