Re: Good Idea, Bad Execution

"Bill O'Neill" wrote:

> ...The downside is,  they're obviously fully automated and CNN doesn't
> run tones.  They are indiscriminately dumping out into a spot break.
Just
> now (1525) Amanpour  is about to answer a question regarding how the
> coalition troops are now being 'greeted' by Iraqis.  She responds that
it's
> a great question, begins to go and then...bam, WXZO's automation (one
> hopes) cuts to a spot break.  They then go to wx, a CNN Radio spec.
> report feed, and then flip  back to CNN audio.  I have to think that
there
> is likely no easy way to cutaway, but pulse and respiration at the
board
> could at least dig into a more "natural" break in the message.
Probably
> nowhere for a tech to even stand in the broom closet studio.

This brings up an interesting point and a technical question for all
here at
BRI.  Yesterday, during a spot set on WBZ, Donald Rumsfeld started
a press conference.  The on-air newsman dumped the spot midway, cut
directly to the alread-underway press conference audio and spoke over
the audio "...press conference, just started, blah, blah..." and potted
audio up.

Now, while this is better (??) than an automation system just dumping
program for a spot set, wouldn't it be better if there were an
electronic
component in the audio chain that could start recording audio when
something begins and then the air/board person could start playing it
back from the beginning while it continues to record.  The net result
would be no lost/cut spots, no upcut press conference and a proper
intro by the air person.  Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Of course, if such a piece of equipment like this actually existed, a
top-notch station like WBZ (Best News Gathering Organization in
the WORLD) would surely have one.  Guess we'll have to wait for
someone to invent such a thing.  And while they're at it, they could
invent a video version and call it a TIVO.

Gotta go now (cheek hurts)

Roger