Re: Lawyers Seeking "Deep Pockets" May Target CCU

----- Original Message -----
From: "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To: "Dan Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: Lawyers Seeking "Deep Pockets" May Target CCU

> But there's no need to prove liability; all you need to show (as a
> plaintiff) is enough to avoid summary judgment, and then drag out the
> discovery long enough that the defendant decides to settle rather than
> let the suit continue to fester.  The plaintiffs get less money than
> they originally ask for, the defendant gets to deny responsibility
> while avoiding the cost and uncertainty of a drawn-out legal battle.

I think the plaintiff would have a hard time surviving summary judgment, but
even if they did, Clear Channel has to consider the long term consequences
of a settlement.  Though many defendants settle to avoid uncertainty, a
settlement by Clear Channel would encourage suits against them whenever
something goes wrong at an event they sponsor.  When you consider all the
events that the company has some involvement in, that's opening up a
Pandora's box.  There is also the strong likelihood that the other
plaintiffs and/or their insurance companies will settle, a trial against
Clear Channel only seems unlikely, IMHO.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine