Re: Lawyers Seeking "Deep Pockets" May Target CCU

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net>
To: <lglavin@lycos.com>; <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 2:55 PM
Subject: RE: Lawyers Seeking "Deep Pockets" May Target CCU

> Here's a potential problem for stations who, perhaps not in this case,
> derive a financial benefit from the outcome of events they promote.

I don't think so.  You would have to show that the station somehow took
responsibility for the facility and had a duty to ensure that the building
was not overcrowded.  The plaintiff would have to show that the station
breached some duty.  Promoting an event on the radio does not usually bring
along the duty of ensuring that the building is not overcrowded.  If the
station was the actual promoter, they would likely have that responsibility.
If they were just sharing in profits in exchange for promoting the show,
they shouldn't have any liability.  You can sue anyone, but proving
liability is another matter.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine