Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Exempt industries

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Faneuf" <tklaundry@juno.com>
To: <billings@suscom-maine.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 9:18 PM
Subject: Re:Re: Re:Re: Exempt industries

> Dave:
> Interesting, unless I am reading it wrong even if the Federal Minium wage
was increased to say $10, the minimum wage in Maine would still only be
$7.25?  Can that be right?
> df

Right, but federal law is supreme so most employers would have to pay the
federal rate.  When the federal rate is the same or higher than the Maine
rate, the Maine rate applies only in those areas exempt under Maine law.  I
have not researched this, but I am told that Maine's  minimum wage applies
in a number of areas where the federal rate does not.  One of those areas
would be the broadcasting exemption that began this discussion.

Right now, Maine's minimum wage is higher than  the federal minimum wage,
which I think is the case in all of the New England states.  If the federal
rate was to rise above $7.25 an hour, the Legislature would likely increase
Maine's rate to at least the level of the federal rate, but you are correct
that legislation action would be necessary.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine