Re: Staten Island Refinery Fire

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sven Franklyn Weil" <sven@gordsven.com>
To: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: Staten Island Refinery Fire

> The news is what's happening NOW.  Not an hour ago.
>
> The disco stampede and fire was literally yesterday's news.

I think the media puts too much emphasis on the NOW.  The refinery fire is
certainly news and the effects on the immediate areas need constant coverage
locally.  But the cable news networks are providing no information other
than exciting pictures.  They have no substance to pass along.  The constant
coverage provides no understanding.

That said:  In the last half hour, they have been covering both stories.  I
just find it odd when they go from constant coverage of one event to
constant coverage of another so quickly.  A little more perspective on all
events could be provided.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine