Re: Re:Clear Channel cuts do include on air positions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sven Franklyn Weil" <sven@gordsven.com>
To: "Dan Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: Re:Clear Channel cuts do include on air positions

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Dan Billings wrote:
> > the resulting consolidation of the industry, I think a number of the
more
> > marginal signals would now be dark.

Sven asked:
> And I think that would probably be a good thing...it's not like many of
> these are doing anything special....or are they?

In Bangor, you have Steven King's stations which are locally operated and
free of any concern about making a profit. WZON does much more local
programming than your typical small market sports station.  I don't know
much about WKIT, but I assume they are not a cookie cutter station.

Clear Channel and Cumulus own everything else in the market.  The marginal
signals, in several cases, are now used to simulcast other stations in the
group and to provide wider coverage so they serve some purpose.  Without
consolidation, several of the signals would not be economically viable.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine