Re: Re:Clear Channel cuts do include on air positions

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Dan Billings wrote:

> In Bangor, you have Steven King's stations which are locally operated and
> free of any concern about making a profit. WZON does much more local
> programming than your typical small market sports station.  I don't know
> much about WKIT, but I assume they are not a cookie cutter station.

Also included is WDME, which doesn't have great coverage in bangor, but
provides a lot of local sports coverage for the Dover-Foxcroft area, high
school, along with University of Maine hockey.

WKIT is the only station in the market that is manned 24 hours a day, 7
days a week, 365 days a year. There is one satellite program (Rockline)
and also covered for syndicated programming (all run from CD manually) are
these: Superstar concert series, Flashback, House of Hair, House of Blues
Radio Hour, The Classics, In the Studio, Off the Record, and Dr. Demento.
Locally run programs include Blue Monday (all blues on Monday nights) and
Homemade Jam (a local music show). There are also 4 all request shows
daily (that are really all request shows) and at 10:40 AM and PM there is
20 minutes of blues.

> Clear Channel and Cumulus own everything else in the market.  The marginal
> signals, in several cases, are now used to simulcast other stations in the
> group and to provide wider coverage so they serve some purpose.  Without
> consolidation, several of the signals would not be economically viable.

Clear Channel had the weakest book out of all three companies the past
coule of times around.........it'll be interesting to see how their
changes affect things...

Jeremy