Re:Re:Re:Wired.com on Reversing Consolidation

---------- Chuckigo@att.net writes:
Chuck writes:
in my first, full-time radio gig, i worked for the "grandfathered" Guy Gannett
Broadcasting's WGAN (am&fm).  the company also owned WGAN-TV and the Portland
Press Herald/Evening Express/Maine Sunday Telegram.  let me assure you that the
company did EVERYTHING it could to keep the entities separate >>snip<<- -Chuck Igo

Dave writes:
The same can probably be said of the old Boston Herald Channel 5 relationship, but that was then, this is now.  Fortunately I did not work at WLLH at the time but I have been told by people who did work there at the time that the station had a "deal" with The Lowell Sun for news...it structured in such a way as I understood it, that WLLH News would get an advance of the newspapers day sheet and the radio did their local news based on that sheet and that sheet alone.  Breaking stories were exempted, but otherwise they did only the stories on the sheet and tagged the news with read more in today's Lowell Sun.  Thereby giving news coverage control of WLLH to the newspaper.
In discussions with several wannabe players in radio in Lowell they all urge a marriage between The Lowell Sun and WCAP each of them pointing to the editorial and news coverage it would provide.  I maintain the word coverage should and would be replaced with the word control.  Fortunately the current owner of WCAP refuses to sell to anyone affiliated with the paper, but I fully expect the publisher of the paper to try to gain control upon the death of the current owner.
df