Re:Re:Wired.com on Reversing Consolidation

>>... (snip)however I would disagree that combining local newspapers and local
broadcast outlets would be in the public interest.  I see it as allowing a
single company to control, not only news coverage and content but advertising
rates. (snip) ... <<

in my first, full-time radio gig, i worked for the "grandfathered" Guy Gannett
Broadcasting's WGAN (am&fm).  the company also owned WGAN-TV and the Portland
Press Herald/Evening Express/Maine Sunday Telegram.  let me assure you that the
company did EVERYTHING it could to keep the entities separate and most
especially NOT equal.  WGAN radio couldn't BUY positive coverage in the
newspaper, as everyone would raise eyebrows and go "Ah-HAH!"  in the public's
eye, the corporation tried to ensure that each of its media presented an
independent view and/or product.
and from the corporate fiscal side, it was in their best interest to keep their
3 different media outlets separate.  i can still see Ira Sills pulling out "The
Little Red Pressbook" (the Newspaper Union's handbook) whenever trying to
present an argument on behalf of the AFTRA Union membership on the radio side,
as well a copy of the existing AFTRA television contract.  the company was, if
anything, consistent in maintaining its stance that each unit was separate and
not of a comparative nature.

- -Chuck Igo