Re: Herald article on DJs paid to promote diet product

I believe that five or more years ago, before ADM changed its name from Archer-
Daniels-Midland, it did A LOT of wrong and was involved in what, for that day,
were some pretty horrendous court cases (which now pale in significance
compared with the misdeeds of the brass at Enron and WorldCom). I can't recall
any specifics, but I don't think the problems had to do with juggling the
books; I think ADM may have colluded with other companies to control markets or
fix prices--or something like that. Anyhow, as I recall, when all this came
out, a lot of people were speculating about the company's ability to survive
and the management began a massive PR campaign to restore the company's image.
I'm pretty sure that the celebrity endorsements were a product of that
campaign. Of course ADM not only survived, it prospered. Score one for PR.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205