Re: shutting off to do transmitter work...

Greetings:
     In 1968, WBNC-FM did the 50/50 simulcast route.
The separate programming consisted of some
Classical/Symphonic programming as well as "Mantovanni
type" Beautiful Music.  Since Conway at the time was
not part a highly rated radio market, WBNC AM and FM
legally did not require to provide separate
programming during the day.  But since WBNC wanted to
experiment with their brand new FM station (summer
1967), they chose to try it out.  It didn't cost them
much and FM (on the whole) was in it's experimental
phase around the country during those days.
     However, by 1972, WBNC-FM only did unique
programming during the hours that WBNC/1050 left the
air after sunset (until 10:00 PM).  This programming
was more of the album cuts that became a staple of the
future WMWV/93.5.  Eventually, in the late 1970's the
FM was getting more listeners than the AM.  SO, most
promotion was for the FM side only.  The AM'er was
just that switch they turned on from 6:00 AM until
local sunset.  WBNC/1050 does has some nighttime
authority (a few watts), but, the last time I was in
Conway (years 7 ago), they chose to not use it.  Do
they use it now?
     The Conway stations have a great history of
service to the local area since 1959.  I hope someday
to visit them.  73.

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts

--- Cooper Fox <fox893@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > this FM'er as WMWV ("Mount Washington Valley").
> It
> > is
> > now 24/7 in Stereo with a unique eclectic format.
>
> What was the format of WBNC-FM at that time?
>
> > The
> > AM'er is still WBNC, but it is a non-descript
> > daytimer.  Too bad, too.  If they went with
>
> WBNC currently simulcasts WVMJ-FM(104.5)
>

> =====
> Magic 104
> North Conway, NH

> now.