RE: Herald article on DJs paid to promote diet product

>Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:05:19 -0500
>From: "Dan C." <dwcole@attbi.com>
>Subject: Re: Herald article on DJs paid to promote diet product

> ...Oddly enough there were stories out about problems with some of the
> ingredients in NutriSystem...

For the most part, these "natural weight loss formulas" are combinations
of certain vitamins, minerals and amino acids along with certain herbs
that may have either diruetic and/or strong stimulant properties.

Some even contain caffiene extract, and/or other stimulating herbs which
can be powerful central nervous system stimulants such as Ma Huang (the
herb containing Ephedrine), Guarana, Kola Nut, and "Korean" (White) or
"Panax" Ginseng. Many of those can be far stronger than drinking coffee,
especially in people who are particularly physically sensitive to them.

The idea is that "speeding" up the metabolism with these stimulants will
cause the person to burn off more calories and suppress their appetite.
Though there is a bit of truth to both of those claims (more the latter
than the former), such artificial stimulation (even if the herbs are of
"natural" origin) comes with potential price tags for one's health,
possibly including nervousness, jitters, insomnia, rebound fatigue, and
even heart problems for those at risk, among many other possible effects.

The other idea behind some of these stimulant formuals is that, if people
aren't aware of the stimulating properties of the ingredients (how many
people do the research?), they may feel this speedy herbal buzz and think,
"Gee, this stuff sure makes me feel healthy and energetic!" But, they will
likely still end up disappointed in the results.

As someone who has done some studying of holistic health, herbs and taken
a two-year homeopathy course (both as a hobby and to benefit my own health)
and although I've always battled weight problems, I avoid any so-called
"weight loss formulas" because I know what they contain and what they do.

Sorry if this post had little relevence to radio, but I thought it was
relevant to the thread of the moment.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .