RE: Re: Playlists of Oldies er... Super Hits Stations

Larry Lovering wrote:
>Wow, and I guess with a playlist of 2200, played back to back (right, it's
>no format, it's wallpaper) on my internet station.  I do have a library of
>over 4000, so that might get me to an entire week without a repeat.  What a
>concept.

With a library that large, there have to be a lot of clinkers in
there.  I'm not sure I understand why it's even particularly desirable or
necessary to go a week without a repeat.  Most people listen at fairly
predictable and regular times from one day to the next...it's unlikely that
anyone who's listening at 3pm will also be listening at 3am...you're
wasting your library by not recycling.  Also, a better way to acheive
variety is to divide your library into categories, with your more popular
songs ("powers"} coming up more often, as this is what most people want to
hear.  Have medium and lighter rotations categories that come up less
often, and use your deeper cuts sparingly.

It makes no sense to play something obscure like "Live" by the Merry Go
Round just as often as "Pretty Woman"...even if it's just on a webcast.

(can you tell I've done this for a living?)