Re: WGIR 610 AM very noisy after switch to night pattern/power

John Bolduc wrote:
>I noticed a couple of times last week that at 4:30/4:45 when WGIR 610 AM
>Manchester NH switched to night power/pattern that their audio sounded
>like hell. During the Dan Pierce talk show any words spoken with a little
>bit of emphasis / (increased amplitude) caused the audio to have a
>horrible buzzing component to it.
>After a while it almost sounded like someone gave up and put the
>transmitter back into daytime mode.

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I know a couple years
ago they were having problems with a relay (or relays) sticking during
pattern change.  Perhaps the problem has gotten worse, and one tower is
being fed way out of phase or something.

As far as the dumping off air, then eventually coming back sounding clean
here's a possible scenario.  I believe the pattern change is
automated.  Remote control detects a fault when change doesn't happen
properly, it alarms and pages engineer on duty who manually changes the
pattern.  You might want to give them a call & ask...I believe Ken Neenan
is still CE there.