Re: Clear Channel ends streaming broadcasts ... please explain

Thanks Garrett [and Brian who posted earlier].
It seems that the record companies and performance societies, and to a
lesser extent recording artists who will benefit from some of these extra
fees, want it both ways - promotion of new CDs and then extra fees for
essentially reaching an assumed larger audience via the Web - even if there
is no hard proof of such an audience.
However, what if instead of blocking broadcasting via the Web, radio
stations said "Okay, well, we will only broadcast artists and companies who
waive the Webcasting fees." Have any of them thought of trying this as a
solution to the stalemate? Granted, I know we are talking about mostly huge
multi-national corporations here. But if the stations have already paid,
they have already paid - whether it is broadcasting via the airwaves, Web,
or a speaker set up on the sidewalk.
Until recently, I haven't utilized Webcasting. But since getting broadband,
I have started to listen to some of the stations to see what others are
doing.
It would seem to me that the people who are losing in this argument are
lesser known artists, small indie labels who put out the lesser known
artists and don't "earn" performance society royalties, and the small,
independent radio station and Webcasters.