Re: NPR New Years Special

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 03:21:37 -0500 (EST) Sven Franklyn Weil
<sven@gordsven.com> writes:
> On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Larry Weil wrote:
> > were going into the countdown to midnight, WGBH cut in with a
> local
> > station break.
>
> Was it an automated taped break?  I thought the beauty of
> non-commercial
> radio is that you can float the breaks if you want to...since you
> supposedly don't have sponsors to worry about.
>
> What to bet that the local announcement was "this part of WGBH
> programming
> is brought to you by Schmoe's House of Widgets!"
>
> --
> Sven

I have been told repeatedly by the suits at WBUR that if we are running a
continuous news program, like a press conference or in this case a
countdown to the new year we did NOT have to interrupt programming to do
a legal ID.  I have not heard that GBH is automated at night, but I only
know one person over there and she is a tech.
df