Re: NPR New Years Special

At 12:35 PM 1/2/2003, Dave Faneuf wrote:
>I have been told repeatedly by the suits at WBUR that if we are running a
>continuous news program, like a press conference or in this case a
>countdown to the new year we did NOT have to interrupt programming to do
>a legal ID.  I have not heard that GBH is automated at night, but I only
>know one person over there and she is a tech.
>df

Dave is correct about long-form programming...if there's no natural break
in a long run of content...like a concert or a press conference...then a
station needs only to insert a legal ID at the next natural break of
programming they can.  I had thought there was a rule on this, and there's
some mentions of it in FCC CFR Part 74 (special broadcasts)...but nothing
in Part 73 (AM, FM, TV) that I can find.

WGBH is not automated on the overnights.  In fact, they're advertising to
hire someone to do Tuesday-Friday 12mid to 5am.
http://main.wgbh.org/wgbh/jobs/jobs/1582.html

I also have been there at 12midnight on Sunday/Monday with a friend who was
interning for the DJ and another DJ came in to do the overnight shift as we
were packing to leave.  This was about five or six months ago but I assume
they're still live on Sunday night/Monday morning.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels Technical Consulting / Boston, MA
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron