Re: Radio Listening--Human Contact

Eli Polonsky writes:
<< Perhaps so, though a teacher at one of the area's major broadcasting
schools
claimed to me that, at least as of a couple of years ago, many of the new
(male)
students stated that they wanted to learn how to become "the next Howard
Stern". >>

Therein lies the difference between the average teen/20-something listener
and the average teen/20-something jock wannabe. I guess I fall into both
somewhat. On some level I appreciate Stern's wit and ability to twist things
around but even I get turned off (for lack of a better word) by it at times.
I absolutely can't stand O&A, Mancow, any of the nighttime DJs on rock and
pop stations who take phone calls and try to talk dirty to teen and
20-something girls and get them to strip in studio. If you're going to be
raunchy, be somewhat original at least. Now they have to push the envelope
so far on some of this stuff (one of the local CHR DJs here announced a
report stating the Backstreet Boys died a couple winters ago...fortunately
Clear Channel fired him quickly) that it's just ridiculous, not realistic.
The younger generation is immensely cynical and can sniff this out.
Meanwhile, the wannabe DJs think they have to be more and more outrageous to
get noticed and become the next Stern. They can't appreciate the fact that
you might do OK for yourself being a solid-and-entertaining, yet-restrained
jock.