Re: WBPS now sports talk 8:00 PM to 4:00 AM

Dan writes:
>> I just got confirmation of the paid status of the programming from
>> David Lawrence whose OnLine Tonight was one of the shows displaced
>> from WBPS 890 Dedham by the 8:00 PM to 4:00 AM (M-F as far as I
>> know) broadcasts from of the Sports TERMINAL Radio Network.
>> Lawrence's show (from Salem via ABC) was apparently a tradeout.
>> Sports Terminal's programming seems to originate in Lancaster or
>> Harrisburg PA.

Living in York, I'm within earshot of all of the Harrisburg and Lancaster
AMs and FMs. There are three all-sports stations between the two cities (one
in Harrisburg, two in Lancaster) and none of them air Sports Terminal
network programming, nor do any of the other AMs (from what I can tell
through my dial-flipping). Also, a quick search of superpages.com shows no
listings for a business called Sports Terminal in Pennsylvania (though that
doesn't necessarily mean anything).

With the demise of Prime Sports and Sportsfan, I'm surprised someone else
would be foolhardy enough to try to start a fourth all-sports radio network.
In regards to WBPS 'failing' when it ran syndicated sports talk six or seven
years ago, my understanding was that Prime Sports was actually doing OK
(they had a local AM drive show and were about to add PM drive) but the
then-WBPS owner (Douglas?) wanted to increase the lease rate. Also, ISTR
that Prime Sports was about to or just had poured some money into altering
and improving 890's signal. At the time, though, there was only one other
sports station in the market. New York City has had a hard enough time
supporting three sports stations (with one now moving away from the format),
so I doubt Boston could pull it off.