More idiocy from WMTW

WMTW is running TV comercials for Newsradio WMTW that
start out by saying "If you still listen to WBZ for
news, you don't have to" and go on to talk about how
Boston doesn't know anything about Maine.  The spot
finishes with workers from the local baked bean
factory saying "Boston doesn't know beans about Maine
news."

So the idea is apparently to get the huge WBZ audience
in Portland to switch to WMTW.  The only problem with
that strategy is that in the Spring 2002 ratings, WBZ
finished 21st out of the 21 rated stations in the
Portland market with a 0.6.  Of course, Newsradio WMTW
was just above them at 0.9 but the strategy is still
nuts.  My guess is people do not listen to WBZ because
they don't know there is a local alternative.

By the way, when looking up the Portland ratings, I
was surprised to see that News/Talk WGAN had dropped
to 3.8 -- 10th in the market 12+.  This is the lowest
rating that I can remember for the station in a long
time.  They had a big spike last fall like all talk
stations, but in the Spring of 2001, they had a 5.3
which was good for 8th in the market so they are down
significantly spring to spring.  Are talk ratings down
across the country?

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine