WBPS now sports talk 8:00 PM to 4:00 AM

With two 24/7 50-kW AM sports-talk signals already in the 10th market and no
full-time ESPN or Fox Sports affiliates, you wouldn't think that Boston would
need yet another AM sports-talk signal--especially one that carries a network
with "terminal" in its name. You especially wouldn't think that this network
would be PAYING to be heard here eight hours a day M-F and then not doing a
whisper of promotion (not even promos on the station that is carrying its
programs). Moreover, you might not guess that the third sports network would be
on a signal that died with 24/7 syndicated sports talk six or seven years ago.
Yet, as of this past Monday, that's what we have.

I just got confirmation of the paid status of the programming from David
Lawrence whose OnLine Tonight was one of the shows displaced from WBPS 890
Dedham by the 8:00 PM to 4:00 AM (M-F as far as I know) broadcasts from of the
Sports TERMINAL Radio Network. Lawrence's show (from Salem via ABC) was
apparently a tradeout. Sports Terminal's programming seems to originate in
Lancaster or Harrisburg PA.

The other syndicated programs that have been displaced from 890 are Neal Boortz
(from Cox) who was heard from 8:00 to 10:00 PM (when WBPS didn't screw up the
feed and air Michael Savage--even though Savage's show had moved to WRKO) and
the nightly Roy Masters feed, which was heard from 10:00 PM to midnight. I
think this one might have come from Genesis. Masters is still heard on 890 from
noon to 2:00 PM M-F and 7:00 to 8:00 AM Saturday.

I gather that time on WBPS goes to the highest bidder, so if another syndicator
(or infomercial provider) comes along and is willing to pay more than Sports
Terminal, I guess that's whose programming WBPS will carry--though it's
questionable whether anyone will know and hence listen. In the case of
infomercials, who would WANT to listen?

Even though WBPS runs only 3400W at night from a site that must be 20 miles
from Boston, the signal is surprisingly good. The five 173-degree towers and
the good ground system seem to be doing their job. Since WBPS fixed its
modulation levels, WLS no longer interferes very badly where I live in
Arlington Heights.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205