Re: WNTK (was Re: NERW 12/23: Vinikoor Plans Another Change)

Simple: KDKA is a Class A AM and Newport lies within its protected 0.5 mV/m
50% skywave contour. WNTK on 1020 is, however, able to stay on at reduced
power until Pittsburgh sunset. Also, KDKA as a Class A, is entitled to
critical-hours protection, which WINS as a Class B is not. Hence on 1020,
WNTK is limited to 2.4 kW CH, whereas on 1010 it can run the full 10 kW
until local sunset.

More curious is the case of CFRB, which is technically a Canadian Class A,
but is covered by so many exceptions that, for all practical purposes, it is
a Class B. Because of the exceptions, CH is not an issue. Because
interference to its "normally protected" skywave service from WINS is so
much greater than any interference that WNTK will cause (and because, by
treaty, interference within US borders from US stations to Canadian Class
As is also not an issue), the only Canadian that WNTK must worry about is
CBR Calgary, which is a couple thousand miles away and won't receive any
meaningful interference from WNTK.

WNTK's 37W night service will be kind of a joke, however. Both WINS and CFRB
put such strong signals into northern NH at night that WNTK's nighttime
interference-free service will be limited to the 75 mV/m contour. I haven't
tried to figure out how far from the antenna the 75 mV/m contour of a 37W
station on 1010 lies in an area of such awful soil conductivity, but it
isn't far. Might not even extend past the end of the ground system ;>)
Still, I imagine the signal will be listenable for a mile or so on most
nights if the listener is willing to put up with moderate amounts of hash
and 1 to 2 Hz beat notes.