WNTK (was Re: NERW 12/23: Vinikoor Plans Another Change)

>------------------------------E-MAIL EDITION-----------------------------
>--------------------------NorthEast Radio Watch--------------------------
>
>This week, we can tell you that Vinikoor has some big plans for his
>other New Hampshire AM station as well. WNTK (1020 Newport) is
>currently a 10 kW daytimer, playing Americana music along with some
>talk programming - but Vinikoor applied last week to move the station
>down the dial to 1010 kHz, retaining the 10 kilowatt power by day and
>during critical hours (when WNTK currently reduces its power on 1020)
>and adding 37 watts of night service.

Given the fact that WINS is considerably closer to Newport than KDKA, how
does he figure he can get night power on 1010 when he can't on 1020?  Or
does he have a flea-power night signal now?  Was passing thru Newport last
Saturday night & thought I heard country music on 1020...rather noisy
signal, even right in town less than 1 mi from the tower.

>Vinikoor can thank the
>disappearance of the old WHWB (1000) in Rutland, Vermont for at least
>part of the change on the dial that allows for higher power on 1010
>these days.

Never understood that one.  For years WHWB was on 1000, 1000w-D.  At some
point in the 80s (?) they moved to 970, still 1000w-D.  What was the move
supposed to gain them?  Clearly not much since that station has been dark
for many years.

>The article, by a Meggan Clark, says Vinikoor is planning to build six
>towers in North Charlestown, N.H. for what she (and the screaming
>headline) describe as a "500,000-watt" radio station!

Wow!  Where's Wolfman Jack when we need him?