RE: WMWM taking a week off...

On 19 Dec 2002 at 22:38, Aaron 'Bishop' Read wrote:

> That doesn't mean that it's inordinately stupid for a station to ever be
> off the air.  Well, okay...I can see regularly scheduled outages on, say,
> overnights.  As long as it's REGULAR...nothing random.   I have often
> heard the adage by students that they think their listeners would rather
> hear dead air than hear bad air or automation (no focus groups, research,
> or polling to back this up, mind you)...proving very effectively that:
>
> 1: Students often know far, far less than they think they do...and... 2: A
> student-run station should be required to have a faculty advisor.

This reminds me of something that happened once when I was at WMUA in the mid-1960s.
In those days, during finals, the station programmed continuous classical music, interrupted
only by a legal ID between each record (which in those days had to be logged).

It was near the end of finals, and the person who was to relieve me didn't show.  I had to
leave, so I called the program director and asked him what to do.  He told me to sign off.  I
did so, turned off the transmitter, and was locking up when the person who was to releive me
showed up.  But it was too late; we were off for the summer.