Re: WMWM taking a week off...

--- "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com> wrote:

>  WMUA always was off
> the air during school vacations.

I've been at WMWM non-stop since March of '81 (though
lately I only do one show a month) and can tell you
that some years, we were off during the summer and/or
the Christmas break, but in other years we'd be on all
the time, even Christmas Day. (That would include last
year, as I was on for about an hour just before I went
to my family get-together. No voice tracking
at WMWM!)

One year, we were told that during the summer we could
only be on during the hours that the College
Union was open. That meant a schedule of Monday
through Friday, 7 am to 5 pm. Weekend shows like
mine (a Sunday blues show) wound up in the 7 am
slot.

Sometimes we went off during a break because most
people wouldn't want to do shows, anyway. Other
times, it was due to an order from the college.

As far as "why don't they do automation", we have a
very small budget...We have two computers, one for
the general manager's office and a Mac in the
production studio. Maybe someday we'll get one for
the on-air studio and do automated stuff (I think
WRPS 88.3 in Rockland does automated programming
overnights.)

> As for why small things get eliminated, it's because
> big things have powerful advocates.
> They cut the things they can most easily cut.

We're just a 130 watt station at a state college.
By the way, most of the funding comes from student
activity fees, not from the college budget (though
the college does own the license.)