Re: WMWM taking a week off...

Peter George writes:
> Hi Aaron:
>     I totally agree with you about the FCC 3 minute
> requirement.  My stations are ready for that.  I use
> the Sine-Systems remote control systems with the
> automatic call-up feature if the station goes out of
> any parameters. I can control the transmitter to
> turn-on or off with any touch-tone phone.  I also keep
> backups on "warm-standby" if the main fails.  So, I
> don't know why the WPAA's or the WDOM's of the world
> run dead carrier during breaks.  On top of that,
> running dead carrier without hourly legal ID's is not
> legal.  At least WMWM shut's down completely when no
> programming is present.  I would like to see WMWM run
> 24/7 myself, even when the students go home.  73.

What does WHRB do during semester breaks?

WMWM and some of the other state schools differ from WPAA and other
dorm-dominant schools in that a good deal of the student population has a
short commute to the campus. Why not let the kids continue to have shows, if
they wish, during break? Or arrange with Salem High, or Peabody High, or
another area high school that doesn't have a radio station (but does have a
TV studio or communications curriculum) to give kids an opportunity to host
a program. This would require an adult supervisor, which may or may not be
feasible. It would provide some kids with a break and a chance to get an
aircheck, though.

Besides, most of these state colleges have some sporting events during
break...surely, they'd want to broadcast these, right? Shutting down is
quite short-sighted, IMO.