Re: WMWM taking a week off...

Your interpretation of "running unattended" is a little off, Peter...but in
principle I agree with you.   There's no reason for any station to shut
down these days...it's just too damn easy and cheap to set it up to run
with no physical presence at the helm.   "Saving heat and power"??  Gimme a
damn break...125W is barely a damn lightbulb, and you can't just "shut off"
the heat or the pipes will burst...realistically you can't go much below
55-60 degrees without risking problems.

Anyways...an excellent reference on the specifics of running unattended is
available here:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/noonehome.html

The key factors are having your EAS set up to run without outside control,
and having a means of shutting down your transmitter from any location
within three minutes of a problem being detected (this DOES NOT necessarily
mean within three minutes of the problem OCCURING...simply that you have to
be able to shut down within three minutes of being aware of the
problem).   Exactly whether or not you need a means of detecting a problem
in the first place is one of those vague areas the FCC is notorious
for...but regardless, the Broadcast Tools DC8PLUS is a simple $400 dial-up
solution that allows simple on/off telephone control of many basic
transmitter functions.
Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
AOL-IM: ReadAaron         Brighton, MA 02135