RE: Patriots 10 year contract extension with WBCN

elipolo@earthlink.net said:
> Over the past few years I've been at WBUR, they've been known to farm
> BU  sports broadcasts out over a number of AM stations in a small
> "network"  of sorts.
>
> This has included, among others, WROL, WRCA, WCRN (Worcester), WPLM-AM
> (Plymouth), and if I remember correctly, there may have been BU games
> on WJIB, WSRO, and other small AM's in outlying areas of metro Boston.

Until the last year or two of the football program, WBUR-FM was indeed the
flagship station for BU football, with Doug Brown (now at ESPN Radio) and
Bernie Corbett doing the games. The Terriers were on 1510 for a spell
before the plug was pulled.

BU hockey has been on commercial AM for as long as I can remember, whether
it was WROL (for many years), a year or two on the old incarnation of
1060, now apparently on 1510.

BU men's basketball only had a select number of games on WBUR until recent
years, when they were shoved to commercial radio.

I would think WBUR would have endorsed sports coverage, particularly
football (least disruptive formatically) as a way of raking in $$$ from
your normally-doesn't-listen-to-WBUR listener.

College sports has had a hard time finding consistent homes in the
marketplace...the longest-running partnership has to be WEEI/BC hoops and
football, as well as WJIB/Northeastern football and basketball/hockey. The
fact that Harvard football (a program with a bunch of tradition and alumni
support) can't even find its way onto a commercial AM around here (save
830) for any length of time should speak for itself.