Re: Yiddish Radio Project

At 08:21 PM 12/8/2002, Daniel Murphy wrote:

>This afternoon WBUR ran two installments of the Yiddish Radio Project. I had
>not heard these before and I was wondering if shows from this series have
>been broadcast previously in Boston.

Short answer: Yes, it has aired previously.

IIRC, they aired it right around the time that there was that whole
controversy over a "massacre" in Jenin by the Israeli Armed Forces.  (some
reports said it was hundreds of people killed, others that it was under a
dozen).    I remember it just because WBUR/NPR (it was an NPR series)
caught a fair amount of flak for airing such a "Jewish-slanted" series
during a "sensitive time"...which would be amusing since WBUR is often
accused of being pro-Palestinian, would be amusing if people weren't
demanding "fair coverage" that's actually biased, and weren't demanding it
by using crippling financial boycotts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Yiddish Radio Project originally aired on
All Things Considered, which is also aired on WGBH, not just WBUR.  But I
don't remember hearing anything about WGBH being slanted to one side or the
other in Israel.   Seems rather unfair for WBUR to be catching all the heat.

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
AOL-IM: ReadAaron         Brighton, MA 02135