Re: Why WMTW will always be third

At 04:43 PM 11/18/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>OK, here's the real question:  Do the folks in the Portland market (or
>elsewhere) feel that the stations that provided longer storm coverage gave
>the viewers more useful information?
>
>--
>Larry Weil
>Lake Wobegone, NH

Well, speaking from the radio end of it (WGAN)...

This morning we went into what we call (among ourselves) "Operation
Stormwatch Lite".  That means that we did not go into a full blown storm
format.  However, the weather and its aftermath were my top stories all
morning long.....road conditions, outages, school stuff and the like.  We
did not go 'wall-to-wall' as we would if it was a major weather event.  I
still hit the other stories of the day, but made sure the weather was the
top item, since it was what folks would be most interested in as they start
their week.
I always try to hit on what I think the listeners most want to hear.  When
its nasty outside, that usually tops their list...and mine.

Dan Cole
Morning anchor, WGAN