Re: WWZN adds programming

I recall that 1510 was actually WSSH-AM twice, the first time was in
the late 80's, after Noble bought it and turned it to WSSH-AM from
WMRE, a big-band station ("memories") which ended up leasing a lot of
time and running "Little Walter's Time Machine" on weekends.

The first WSSH-AM didn't simulcast the soft AC on the FM, it ran an
easy-listening satellite. I recall hearing the song "1900-Yesterday" by
Liz Damon's Orient Express in Kahn system AM stereo, which was the less-
prevalent AM stereo competitor to Motorola. (I had one of the early
Walkmans with a switch for either of the two incompatible AM stereo
systems).

This was before Noble tried satellite country as WKKU (during which time
I think the AM stereo was shut off for the first time). When it became
WSSH-AM again, then it did simulcast the FM for awhile, then tried talk,
then went brokered ethnic until it was sold and turned religious as WNRB,
who turned the AM stereo back on, but this time with the Motorola C-Quam
system.

When it was sold again and ended up as "The Zone", the monaural sports
programming ran for a few months with the stereo pilot on until it was
finally shut off for the last time.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .