Re: WWZN adds programming

Paul Hopfgarten writes:
> Ah! But for NIGHT GAMES only, 107.9 (at the end of the Wonderful
WELlington
> days) was the 'clear' choice for Sox action in 1978. (By spring of '79,
I'm
> guessing 107.9 told WITS to "KISS Off" the Sox coverage)
>
> In fact not before (I think) and not since have I heard of a "night games"
> only arrangement for sports broadcasts of Boston pro sports on a 'Boston'
> affiliate.

Believe it or not, that setup has happened in recent years in other markets.
When Infinity moved Detroit Lions radio broadcasts from WWJ (950) to WXYT
(1270), they continued to air the prime-time Sunday and Monday night games
on 950 since the 1270 after-dark signal isn't good for much beyond
Southfield (from what I understand anyway). Why they didn't just put all the
games on their FM talk station there baffles me...but anyway, the above
mentioned setup existed as recently as two years ago.